Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Unit 5--Weeks 5-7 - The Crucible

(my standards are going to be quite out of order - sorry, Ms Scredon :P)

ELAWLRL1 - The student demonstrates understanding through recognisation of elements (i.e., examples of diction, imagery, point of view, figurative language, symbolism, plot events, main ideas, and cultural characteristics) in a variety of works including, but not limited to: poetry, prose [short story, novel, essay, editorial, biography], and drama; and uses these elements to interpret the works.

ELAWLRL2 - The student identifies (a) theme in (a) work(s) of world literature, and is able to analyse and draw knowledge from said theme in order to support understanding of the work by providing finding evidence from the text (relating to the theme).

ELAWLRL3 - The student's understanding of literary works from various places around the world deepens by relation to their contemporary context and/or historical background, and also by relation to other works (such as from other time periods).

ELAWLRC1 - The student is required to read a minimun of 25 books appropriate to their grade level (equivalent to about 1,000,000 words total, which can be from other texts besides novels) per year. All words read are expected to be from a variety of subject matters. The student should read both fictional and non-fictional (informative) works within a variety of genres and modes of discourse, including technical works related to various areas of subject.

ELAWLRC2 - The student should actively participate in discussions relating to the learnings of the particular curriculums in all subject areas.

I feel that I have met these standards (excepting the reading of those 1,000,000 words - I don't recall you saying anything about that, Ms. Scredon, then again these are just state standards and guidelines, right? Like the Pirate's Code - "they're more like guidelines, anyway," (Pirates of the Caribbean, hehe)). I feel this way because of everything we've studied in relation to The Crucible. I have learned a lot through reading, watching, and writing about the play; spefically about its thematic elements. And I definitley jumped at the chance to participate in any and all discussions held in the class during this unit.
--Oh...oops, I think I was supposed to state whether we as a class met these standards. Well, let's hope so, because that was certianly your intention, eh, Ms. Scredon? However I can only speak for myself.* I enjoyed the unit thoroughly.
*And I will continue to do so, because as I mentioned before, I am certian that as a teacher it is your intention (and requirement) to make sure that these standards are applied to our units and met by each student...but I cannot speak for anyone but myself, so from here on out my little why-I-feel-these-standards-have-been-met-thingies will be expressed solely from my point of view. I hope I will not get points taken off for that, and that I am not being completely ridiculous and rambling. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment